Hayat Boumeddiene, the woman terrorist wanted in connection with the terror attacks in France earlier this month, is believed to have entered Turkey and now escaping into Syria, media reports said, though she was not in France when terrorist attacks took place last week.
A CNN report quoting sources of the Turkish Prime Minister’s office said Hayat Boumeddiene is believed to have entered Turkey on January 2. While this information effectively points out that she was not in Paris during the attacks, nonetheless tracking her movements, Turkish police said she was not arrested as there was not enough evidence against her.
CNN further reported that Boumeddiene is thought to have left for Turkey “of course to reach Syria,” according to the French source, reportedly after receiving information from the Turkish authorities, Xinhua reported.
The 26-year-old woman was the partner of the extremist Amedy Coulibaly, who was killed on Friday, in a fight with the police at a Jewish grocery store at Porte de Vincennes in southern Paris. Four hostages were also killed in the attack.
Police named Boumeddiene and Coulibaly as suspects in Thursday’s killing of a policewoman in the southern Parisian suburb of Montrouge.
Boumeddiene escaped from the grocery store in the confusion as hostages ran away, CNN had earlier reported, citing French police union spokesman Pascal Disand.
According to Disant, the slain Kouachi brothers, who were behind the attack on the office of the Charlie Hebdo magazine Wednesday, and Coulibaly were part of the same jihadi groups, and Paris prosecutor Francois Molins indicated Boumedienne and Cherif Kouachi’s wife were well-connected, saying they exchanged 500 phone calls in 2014, CNN reported.
A global search has been launched by INTERPOL to locate her following the terrorist attacks Paris in which more than 15 people were killed.
“On behalf of the world police community INTERPOL condemns this horrendous and cold-blooded attack in the strongest terms and extends its condolences to the families and loved ones of the victims,” said Interpol Secretary General Jürgen Stock.
The world police body has offered its full support to the French authorities following the incident in which masked gunmen opened fire at the Charlie Hebdo headquarters. Among the victims were two police officers and four cartoonists, including the magazine’s editor.
“INTERPOL’s 24-hour Command and Coordination Centre is on standby to provide any assistance requested by the National Central Bureau in Paris in relation to the ongoing investigation” said a statement from Interpol, including latest efforts to locate the woman suspect Hayat Boumeddiene, believed to be in Syria now.