Venue – Estádio Nacional de Brasilia, Brasília; Time – 9:30 pm IST July 5, 2014;
Argentina face Belgium in a mouth watering quarter final match at Brasilia with a spot in the semi finals on offer. Both sides are undefeated in the tournament so far, but the margin of victory is what will worry them.
Argentina boast of multiple 1 goal margin victories and that has hardly justified the ‘dominating’ tag that has been individually associated with both of them. It is about time they start scoring some goals and what better occasion than the quarter finals to begin.
In case, they reach finals, they need not worry about Brazil player Neymar who was injured and out of 2014 world cup now. It remains how Messi factor alone would help win the cup.
Argentina are hot favorites to win the world cup according to many and who can blame them? With 3 solid strikers in their lineup, one expected them to breeze past the group stages. However, they have labored in almost all their matches and escaped only by the skin of their teeth. Barring Messi and Di Maria, the others have been just plain much to the dismay of the Albacete and they need to step on the gas to perform.
Belgium, touted as the ‘dark horses’ of the tournament have a squad to kill for. They boast of a star player in almost all positions and were expected to deal some solid blows. However, they have just failed to dominate the games despite having the bulk share of possession.
Belgium faced a buoyant U.S side in the pre quarters and were tested beyond doubt. Argentina are a different setup altogether and will need some solid defending to be kept pacified. Kompany and co will need to man mark Messi if they are to keep the rival attack at bay and Wilmonts’s side will be up for the challenge.
Where to Watch Live:
Viewers in Brazil can watch the match live HERE, while viewers in Argentina and South America can catch the action HERE. US viewers can access it on ESPN and ABC and click HERE for online. Australians can click HERE to watch the game online, and those in Africa can view the match HERE. In India, TV channels Sony Six and Sony Six HD will show the matches live and for online live streaming of the match, click HERE. In Pakistan PTV Sport is the only channel given right to broadcast all FIFA World Cup matches and click HERE for online live streaming in Pakistan. For Live Score, many channels and online websites are there but visit the official FIFA.COM website.
Key factors in the match
• Eden Hazard has dominated the right flank like nobody else and will be give Zabaleta a tough time. The Chelsea winger has made more daunting runs into the box than anybody else and has been their major supplier of goal scoring opportunities.
• Courtois has spanned over twenty games for the national side and is yet to be defeated in Belgian colours. The Athletico goal keeper has been in sublime form and will keep the Argentinean attack at bay.
• Messi already has 4 goals to his name and will look to add more to his tally tonight. The Barcelona man can put any defense in the world to shame and Belgium need to be vary of him.
• It is going to an offensive contest for sure with both sides blessed with some fine attackers. The Belgian midfield vs the Argentinean midfield will be the key aspect of the entire match.
• Argentina have on 3 of their 4 games against Belgium
• Argentina have won 8 of their last 9 world cup games
• Belgium have reached the quarter finals of the world cup for only the second time
• All of Belgium’s 6 goals in this world cup have been scored only after the 70th
Goal.com: 2-1 to Argentina
BBC: 2-0 to Argentina
SB Nation: 1-1 (Penalties to be the decider)
Bleacher Report: 1-0 to Argentina