Shahrukh Khan-starrer “Happy New Year” featuring Abhishek Bachchan and Deepika Padukone has been passed with a ‘U’ certificate menat for all viewing by the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC), paving the way for its non-controversial releases on October 24, a day after Diwali.
Produced by Shah Rukh Khan’s Red Chillies Entertainments Pvt Ltd, “HNY” is team said it was excited with the news that will make it possible for audiences of all age groups to watch it at theaters.
“We, at Red Chillies Entertainments, have always believed in making a film which can be enjoyed by one and all. And with ‘U’ certificate attached to the film, it is only going to enhance the potential and appeal right from the kids to youngsters to adults,” Shahrukh Khan said in a statement.
“From the day Farah and I decided to make ‘Happy New Year’, we wanted it to be a wholesome family entertainer. Now with the Censor’s ‘U’certificate on it, we can proudly say that this Diwali go out with your family and watch the film because as the title, the film is a happy one,” he said.
Apart from the tope team, the film features Boman Irani, Sonu Sood and Vivaan Shah. Director Farah Khan said earlier that the film is based on music and dance in heavy dose as she has “always believed in making an entertaining film to be enjoyed by not just one section or age-group but everyone”.
“I always keep this in mind even when I’m writing or bringing my writing material to the celluloid. This Diwali, I, as a director, bring this family wholesome entertainer and I hope that ‘Happy New Year’ will make this a Happy Diwali for every family,” added the Farah, who has earlier made films like “Main Hoon Na” and “Om Shanti Om”.
Usually Shahrukh Khan’s films are released around Diwali to make maximum impact coinciding the Festival of Lights in India which is also an entertaining period with family get-togethers and communities like apartment residents playing it together exchanging sweets and firing crackers. His last year film “Chennai Express” was a big hit raking in more than Rs. 400 crore.
Helath Minister Harsh Vardhan, however, appealed for a “Silent Diwali” this year but it is unlikely to be followed by Indians who excel in exceeding crackers’ noise during the festival.