By Abhijeet Kumar
Micromax launched its latest canvas Sliver 5 smartphone on Thursday in New Delhi, claiming it to be the slimmest phone available in the market but not spelling out its target audience for the device, a mistake many had done in the past.
To be available for Rs.17,999, the Canvas Sliver 5 measures 5.1mm, which is less than many slimmer phones measuring less than 5mm but Macromax CEO Vineet Taneja said the new launch comes without bumps or bulges but uniformly flat and thin.
However, with a price tag of Rs.17,999, the phone is unlikely to withstand highly discounted OnePlus One in the market that is reaching the same range now with far superb features a-la iPhone 6.
With a 4.8-inch screen, the sleek phone weighs 97 gram and is available in black and white/gold variants. It is comfortable to hold as there are no sharp edges and provides a 3.5mm jack, a USB port in the sides.
Running on the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop with a single Nano SIM, (Nano SIM), the Sliver 5 screen features 720X1280 pixels HD Amoled display with Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection. The 64-bit quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 processor coupled with 2GB of DDR3 RAM coupled with 16GB in-built storage with no slot for memory expansion.
The Canvas Sliver 5 sports an 8-megapixel autofocus rear camera with Sony IMX219 CMOS sensor that filters blue glass and supports LED flash. The fornt camera is a 5-megapixel one good enough for selfies.
With a 2000mAh battery, the Canvas Sliver 5, however, fails to meet expected battery power for similarly priced phones in the market and it is here that Micromax should gauze the market competition and not go with a unilateral prescription of what is required for a user.
Being a stable India player, Micromax is offering an after-sales service, similar to the On-site care they provided for its earlier Canvas Knight 2 model. It offers door-step pickup and service within a week, an idea that is unique to Micromax and just impossible for other Chinese players in the market owing to the cost involved in such door-to-door operations.
Otherwise, on the flipside of it, Micromax Sliver 5 rates poorly on battery front, price and storage capacity. On the brighter side, its post-sales service and camera clarity with image sensors stand out.
A razor-thin 5.1mm body, the Micromax Canvas Sliver 5 has been sculpted aesthetically for a snug fit in your hands.
- 5.1mm Slim – End to End
- Visual Perspective: 2.7mm
Weighing in at a measly 97 grams, the Canvas Sliver 5 packs in all the action in a super slick frame that makes it the lightest phone ever, claims Micromax.
- Weighs only 97gms
- 1st 4G LTE phone below 100gms
Qualcomm Snapdragon Processor
Keep your life up and running with the amazing performance of the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 410 Quad Core processor built seamlessly into the Canvas Sliver 5.
- 64 Bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 410
- 1.2GHz Quad Core Processor
- Qualcomm® Adreno™ 306 GPU
- 2GB DDR3 RAM
Carved from Aircraft Grade Aluminium, the Canvas Sliver 5 is light.
- Strong and Durable
- Automatic Polishing for superior finish
- Precision Craftsmanship – 1500 Rotations Per Second
True HD on the 12.19cm (4.8) HD AMOLED Screen of the Micromax Canvas Sliver 5 that keeps scratches at bay with the Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection which makes it slimmer by 42.8%.
- 12.19cm (4.8) HD AMOLED screen
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- 1280X720 Screen Resolution
- 8,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio
- 16.7M Colours
- 30% power saving
- Corning Gorilla Glass 3 as opposed to ordinary glass makes it slimmer by 42.8% as compared to ordinary glass
- Integrates its touch response layer into the display itself using ‘Oncell’ technology thus making it slimmer
- Rear camera
- Front Camera
Capture the action as it happens in stark clarity with the 8MP rear camera packed with SONY IMX219 sensor, 4P Largan lens and Blue Glass Filter.
- 8MP Sony AF Rear Camera
- Wide Angle lens – 75.6 degrees angle
- 1080P video recording at 30 FPS
- Stacked CMOS IMX219 Sensor from Sony – Lower Power Consumption
- 4P Largan Lens and Blue Glass Filter
- Blue Glass filter increases clarity
Lessen buffering and live the fast paced life powered by the 4G LTE connectivity. Stream videos, play games online, tune into Internet radio and much more with 2G/3G/4G connectivity, says Micromax.
- 4G LTE FDD-1800/2600/800 MHz & TDD-2300MHz
- 150 Mbps Download speed
- 50 Mbps Upload speed
Enjoy crystal clear tones and a deep resounding bass on the Micromax Canvas Sliver 5, equipped with NXP Smart Power Amplifier and Dirac HD sound.
NXP smart Power Amplifier:
- Rich sound tonality with deeper bass range
- More output volume without damaging the speakers
Dirac HD Sound:
- Delivers amazing Surround Sound
- Sound correction as opposed to sound effects
- Advanced algorithm creates a tailored digital controller
A 2000 mAh battery life of the Canvas Sliver 5!
- High density Lithium Polymer which makes it safer
- Crafted to ensure Superior Battery optimization
- 2000mAh battery life
- 8 hours talk time
- 345 hours* Stand by time
Download the latest apps, run them without any lag and update them without worrying about space on the 16GB ROM OF Micromax Canvas Sliver 5.
Make the most of the in-built camera modes to capture life in all its stunning glory. Equipped with professional mode, night shot and horizontal Panorama shot
Give into professional photography with manual control just like in a DSLR.
- White Balance
- Anti Banding
- Professional Mode
- Night shot
- Panorama shot
- Beauty features
Android Lollipop 5.0
Get used to a more efficient and seamless Smartphone experience with Android Lollipop 5.0. Flaunt an aesthetic UI, get notifications on the lock screen and limit the access of apps for external users!
- Notifications on lock screen
- Material design: fluid motion with intuitive interaction
- Priority Mode: Get faster access by customizing app usage
- Pin Apps- Limit the access of apps for external users
The Micromax Canvas Sliver 5 comes preloaded with a host of apps to keep you entertained, informed and make the most out of life.
- App Center
- Clean master