India’s top auto major Maruti Suzuki announced an ‘Onam’ limited edition Alto 800 model with 15 additional features in Kochi on Monday.
On the auspicious occasion of the first day of Malayalam month ‘Chingam’, Maruti Suzuki rolled out over 3,000 cars in various segments of which 1,000 were of Alto 800 variant, an official statement said.
The Onam Limited Edition Alto 800 comes with a package of 15 additional features which include Reverse Parking Sensors, Music System with speakers, Power Car Charger, Onam Graphics and Decals, embroidered cushions, designer seat covers and so on.
Few days ago, Volkswagen too announced its special offers for customers in Kerala, on its Polo and New Vento cars, including an assured gold coin on every booking.
“Kerala is an important market for Maruti Suzuki and Alto 800 is the highest selling model for us in the region,” Ram Suresh Akella, Commercial Business Head, Southern Region, Maruti Suzuki said.
“We are happy to present 15 new features as part of the Onam accessories to the customers at a special price. We are confident that the Onam Limited Edition Alto 800 will delight customers,” he added.
“The customers will be offered this package at an aggressive pricing of Rs 17,350, twenty-six per cent less costly compared to the original package cost,” he said in a release.
However, critics and users of the most-selling Alto 800 have a different version to say. Here are some drawbacks they listed when asked.
Some drawbacks of Alto 800:
1) The side vision gets blurred due to a bigger frame on driver’s right side vision. While taking curves, drivers of Alto 800 face virtual blackout of vehicles coming from the right-hand side which is prone to accidents.
2) Interiors of the Alto 800, plastic quality could have been better, suggest others.
3) The performance of the car is slightly weak low-end performance, with the gear box worst affected.
4) Safety features like ABS, EBD etc are missing and airbag is only available on top-variant.
5) The car gets unsettled once you drive over broken or undulated surface. The suspensions are stiff and cramped rear seat.
6) The mileage is less than 10 km in busy city roads and worse in heavy traffic, complain those who have used alto 800 for over a year.
Fuel type Petrol
Seating capacity 5
Fuel tank capacity (litres) 35
Transmission type Manual
Engine displacement (cc) 796
Maximum power 48