Heeding the Indian authorities request following a court order, Google said it has complied with it and removed the links to the Youtube video links to BBC film ‘India’s Daughter’ that specifies the victim’s name and also carries some offensive comments made by one of the convicts from inside the jail.
The interview with Mukesh Singh, one of the convicts was obtained in July last year from Tihar jail without the court of jail authorities’ permission and the home minister explicitly mentioned in the house that a probe has been ordered and exploring ban on BBC in India.
On its part, Google said on Thursday that Indian law-enforcement agencies asked the company to block links on its YouTube video-sharing site that led to the documentary about a 2012 gang rape and murder in Delhi.
An Indian court earlier this week banned broadcast of the film “India’s Daughter,” which tells the story of the 23-year-old girl who was brutally raped in a moving bus and had her intestines removed in the process and tarnished the nation’s image. The court has also banned publication of Mukesh Singh’s comments.
The British Broadcasting Corp., however, defied the request and ban, aired the film on Wednesday evening in the UK that was uploaded on YouTube, where Indian viewers were able to see it on Thursday.
Gaurav Bhaskar, a Google spokesman in India, said that the company had “complied with the court order and blocked access to those web links” as of Thursday evening.