The Sheena Bora murder is getting more mysterious. Celebrity cases are not uncommon for Mumbai. Love, lust, booze, money, affairs, sex, and drugs are the ingredients of the entertainment capital of India that revolves around Bollywood and brand makers.
Also read: Sanjeev Khanna Confesses
The Sheena murder is case is no less than a bollywood blockbuster, as it involves high-profile people like TV tycoon and former Star India CEO Peter Mukerjea’s wife Indrani Bora, who was arrested on Tuesday night on charges of murdering her so-called ‘sister’ Sheena Bora, who later turned out to be her own ‘daughter’, given birth as a teenager way back in 1988.
Here are some key events, facts and unanswered questions arising out of the police investigation and media probe, going simultaneously in the print and online media.
Facts & Timeline:
- Sheena Bora, who lived with her grand-parents in Assam, came to Mumbai in the 1990s to live with Indrani and Peter Mukherjea. After Sheena’s graduation from St Xavier’s College, she started working in an airlines office. She was introduced as Indrani’s sister to Mumbai society.
- Sheena and Peter Mukerjea’s son from his first wife Rahul start dating, which led to heated arguments between Indrani and Sheena in Assamese that Peter Mukerjea said he was not able to comprehend.
- The murder took place in April 2012 and Sheena’s mother Indrani was arrested after her driver confessed to the police in August 2015 that he had actually killed Sheena following his boss’s order.
- Post-Sheena disappearance, Indrani told her husband as well as her friends that Sheena had moved to the UK. But, somehow, a missing report is filed in Mumbai’s Khar police station in May 2012.
- Mumbai police arrested Indrani’s driver Shyam Rai in an Arms Act case, in which he confessed to the murder of Sheena Bora on his employer’s order, and he was taken to the spot from where Sheena’s body was recovered.
- The police probe revealed that Sheena was driven 112 km away from Mumbai and killed in Raigad district forest, where she was strangled to death before the body was set ablaze with petrol by Shyam Rai.
- According to Mumbai Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria, who interrogated Indrani himself in the case, said the murder took place on April 24, 2012 and the body was recovered on May 23, 2012.
- Indrani was arrested by Mumbai police along with her chauffer Shyam Rai under Sections 302 (murder), 363 (kidnapping) and 201 (destroying evidence) of the Indian Penal Code.
- Until revealed by Kolkata-based Telegraph, no one was aware of the fact that Sheena was Indrani’s daughter and not sister as claimed, except Peter Mukerjea and his son, who was dating Sheena. Why was this kept hidden for 3 years?
- Mikhail Bora, now confirmed son of Indrani and not her brother as claimed, is indeed the brother of Sheena whom he had last seen in 2010. Apparently he has more evidence in the case. What’s it?
- Who has filed the Missing Persons report in 2012? Was it Peter’s son or someone else?
- The company Sheena worked with — Reliance ADAG — says it had received a resignation letter from Sheena who went on leave on April 24, the day she was killed. Who had sent it?
- Was the crime related to honour killing since Sheena and Peter’s son, who were in living-in relationship since 2009 were planning to get married?
- Was it over property since money allegedly siphoned off from INX Media was put in different benami names including Sheena’s?