Home » GENERAL » Coal Scam Takes New Turn: CBI Finds ‘Enough Evidence’ to Proceed Case against Birla, Parakh

Coal Scam Takes New Turn: CBI Finds ‘Enough Evidence’ to Proceed Case against Birla, Parakh

CBI said it has got enough evidence to carry on against Former Coal Secretary PC Parakh, Aditya Birla Group Chairman Kumar Mangalam Birla and others accused in the coal bock allocation scam case to the Delhi court on Monday.

A special CBI Judge Bharat Parashar reportedly said, “Arguments heard. Special Public Prosecutor states that from the overall facts and circumstances, there is prima facie enough material on record to take cognizance of various offences under Prevention of Corruption Act and IPC against the private parties and some of the public servants involved in the process of allocation of impugned coal block.”

He added, “A compilation of the relevant documents has also been filed for a ready reference. Matter now is put up for consideration on November 25, 2014.”

Few months ago, the case report had been closed and filed by the agency but the court had slammed and reportedly questioned the agency for the hurry in closing the case in which FIR was registered against Birla, Parakh and others, in September. The court has asked, “On what basis have you drawn such a conclusion (to close the case)? What kind of investigation have you done? What was the supervisory officer doing? Bring the police file and call your supervisory officer in the court now.”

However, after filing the revised report on the same, Judge Bharat Parashar reportedly said on Monday, “(The) special public prosecutor states that from the overall facts and circumstances, there is prima facie enough material on record to take cognisance of various offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act and Indian Penal Code against the private parties and some of the public servants involved in the process of allocation of impugned coal blocks.”

Meanwhile, Aditya Birla group has reportedly denied speaking on the issue saying, as the matter is sub judice, it is inappropriate for them to comment whereas Parakh said that he is not aware of the arguments filed by the public prosecutor in the court. Parakh said, “I have not read the arguments that the public prosecutor has filed in the court. It is difficult for me to comment, especially as CBI says there is not enough evidence but the special prosecutor says he has found some. It is for the court to review.”

According to reports, the relevant documents have filed with the revised report by the CBI and the court has scheduled for the next hearing on November 25.

The FIR, relates to allocation of Talabira II and III coal blocks in 2005, was filed against Birla, Parakh and others alleging that Parakh had reversed his decision to reject coal block allocation to Hindalco Industries within months “without any valid basis or change in circumstances” and shown “undue favours”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*