Home » SPORTS » Good Bye Champions League T20, says BCCI

Good Bye Champions League T20, says BCCI

The Governing Council of the Champions League Twenty20 (CLT20) on Wednesday confirmed that the tournament will be discontinued with immediate effect.

CLT20Comprising representatives Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Cricket South Africa(CSA) and Cricket Australia(CA) made the decision unanimously. The 2015 edition which was scheduled for September and October will not take place now.

Just a day after Supreme Court-appointed Justice Lodha Committee suspended IPL teams CSK and Rajasthan Royals for two years, cricket authorities on Wednesday decided to scrap the Champions League T20 tournament with immediate effect, giving a jolt to cricketer and fans alike.

CLT20 was launched in 2009 by the three boardsbut the tournament’s limited public following made the council to discontinue the league. “This has been a difficult decision as the CLT20 provided added context to a number of domestic T20 competitions around the world such as the Indian Premier League (IPL) in India, Big Bash League (BBL) in Australia and South Africa’s Ram Slam T20,” BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur said.

So far six seasons have been held for the CLT20 and the next was scheduled later this year. “It was a fantastic platform for players from around the world to showcase their talent and the participating teams thoroughly enjoyed the experience over the last six seasons,” he said.

He explained that the CLT20 has failed to sustain due to decline in the interest of the fans. The BCCI said after consulting with the commercial partners and meeting the contractual obligations of all parties involved, it was decided to discontinue the CLT20.

“Further details associated with winding down the league including settling with the three nations that had invested time and effort in the competition, will be completed very soon,” he assured the participating boards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *