Following Bakrid holiday on Tuesday and the State government of Karnataka declaring that it would obey the Supreme Court order and also deal with an iron hand to stop riots and vandalism on the streets, offices may open tomorrow while many schools and colleges in Bangalore decided to close for Wednesday too. BMTC and KSRTC buses may begin plying tomorrow.
Despite the state government official’s statement to some TV channels that the schools will be opened on Wednesday, the Associated Management of Primary and Secondary Schools in Karnataka categorically said that the private schools will remain shut, not to put children at risk.
The management association’s General Secretary, Sashi Kumar, said, “This is irresponsible on the DC’s behalf to not announce a holiday for school. Safety of children is paramount. We have asked individual managements to take a decision.” He had earlier suggested that the schools will reduce the Dusserah vacations to compensate the loss of working days.
According to SMS messages sent by many schools and notices put on websites of colleges, they will remain closed on Wednesday though the Director of Public Instruction is yet to declare an official holiday for schools. All the schools and colleges which had opened on Monday faced utmost challenge to send students back home safely in view of arson and street vandalism over Cauvery water dispute with Tamil Nadu.
Tuesday has witnessed two incidents of truck burning outside Bangalore but the overall situation was normal due to curfew imposed in 16 police station areas in Bangalore. With IT and ITES companies expressing concern over repeated disruption to their operations and Assocham warning that the disruptions would damage brand Bangalore, the state government is gearing up to bring normalcy on the streets of Bangalore on Wednesday.
Assocham has estimated the total loss in all respects during the Cauvery riots this week would be around Rs.25,000 crore, while other estimates put the cost of water being released would carry a market value of about Rs.84 crore. Despite all calculations, the issue has reached a stage where a comprehensive solution is required to be brought with the Centre taking centre-stage to resolve the water sharing dispute.
All e-commerce majors have opted out of delivery services on Tuesday saying their employees’ safety is their top most concern but it is likely that they may resume deliveries tomorrow. Amazon, Flipkart and BigBasket are among those which are planning to resume operations on Wednesday, unless the situation turns violent.
With more than 15,000 state reserve and CRPF forces deployed in Bangalore, more than 350 miscreants put behind bars, the situation is expected to be under control on Wednesday. While vehiclular movement to and from Tamil Nadu may resume, it may take few more days before full normalcy and faith is restored among the drivers to carry on with their transportation schedules.
Even software giants Infosys, Wipro and other IT companies which had either opted out of operations on Tuesday or asked key employees to work from home, are expected to resume operations on Wednesday. Some IT companies have asked their employees to avoid travelling in vehicles with Tamil Nadu number plates.
Businesses in Bengaluru have faced five days of disruption this month alone due to Cauvery dispute and the trade union strike or Bharat Bandh on September 2.